Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Snowy Day

Well we've finally gotten snow here in China. It snowed for the second time two days ago, and we got almost two inches. Even though am in north central China it seems that China south of here is being pummeled with much more snow. As of now I have Kaifeng all to myself (in terms of Westerners and Chinese students too). There is a beauty school something or other being hosted at the campus and once the students left they were replaced with a couple hundred young Chinese women wearing way too much makeup. I'm not sure where they are coming from but not from Kaifeng anyway. Now when I go to the restaurants outside the campus gate I am the only regular.
Here is one of the nearby market streets where I get fruits and vegetables. On my way to Zhengzhou to visit the western import supermarket I saw that the farmers outside town had erected shelters for the winter crops. Since at least 90% of our food comes from just outside the city and is brought in fresh by farmers every morning I was wondering how they managed it.



This is the empty building at the end of the market street. I have no idea what it is or what it was supposed to be. The place is made entirely out of poured concrete (very classy) it looks to me like a fancy parking garage.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gee, it looks like Crystal Lake--except for the snow covered fruit and vegetable stand. Do they usually not get snow in this part of China?