Monday, August 20, 2007

The Chatty Chinese

Yesterday I was very politely accosted by on three separate occasions by Chinese people who wanted to practice their English on me.

"Hello, hello. You are English, American. Where are you from?"

"Have you been to the imperial gardens? I think it is very beautiful. Perhaps we go there to speak English together."

Occasionally I am happy to chat a little bit but I generally detest small talk and I know that people get paid to do this. Besides the whole point of me going to China to learn Chinese is that I'll be able to practice my Chinese out on the street, not to be a study guide, or a really bland conversationalist in English.

My first two days here most people who shouted hello at me were kids who wanted just wanted to say hi. I'm glad there wont be so many people eager for boring conversations in Kaifeng, or those who want them can hire me.

Last night I was heading back to my hostel after a very long and exhausting day when two you women stopped me to speak English with me. They were nice enough but I was totally beat and sweating in the evening heat. I kept telling them I was going back to my hostel. Once suggested that we go to the lobby of my hotel and have conversations over tea. I laughed to myself at the absurdity of that suggestion. She must have assumed that this dirty, sweaty, poorly dressed waigouren (foreigner) must be staying in some plush 4 star hotel. Wouldn't they be surprised to learn that the lobby to my hotel consisted of a skinny security guard sleeping on his desk an a dirty elevator. No tea to be had at all.

They let me go and I went to bed.

No comments: